Wednesday, July 15, 2026

middle of Week Unexpected Cookout

Wonderful Wednesday

It is the middle of the week, and I always look forward to Wednesday because I know I’ve only got two more days until the weekend. Truthfully, at my age, I feel like I live for the weekends when I can get out and do something besides work and being at home. I’ve always been someone who loves to go places more than most people. I always joke that I must have a little gypsy blood in me because I just love to roam.

Today is going to be a little different than our normal routine, and it’s all thanks to my sweet husband, Mr. C. Yesterday while I was at work, he texted me and asked what I thought about having a cookout tonight. Of course, I was all for it! He immediately started making phone calls to see who could come over, then sent me a grocery list of everything I needed to pick up after work.

The cookout will start around 5:00 this evening. I should get home around 4:30, which will give me enough time to help in the kitchen while he’s outside working the grill. I think it’ll be a smaller gathering than we’re used to, with Brody, Savannah, Lane, Landon, Sophie, Charles, and Elizabeth coming over. It’s just too far for Alisha and Jonathan to make the drive after work since they live about an hour away, but Mr. C still invited them so they’d know we were thinking about them.

Work was actually a pretty successful day. I stayed focused on each member I spoke with and was thankful to make my daily save goal. I was really proud of that. I didn’t have any especially rude callers, although I did have several who were pretty impatient. I’ve learned that I don’t know what someone else’s life looks like, so when they get upset with me, I try not to take it personally. I simply let that call go and move on to the next one without carrying the frustration with me. That’s something I’ve been working really hard on, and I think it’s making my days at the call center much less stressful.

One fun thing I did today was take a charcuterie board to work. It was made from the leftover meats and cheeses from Sophie’s first birthday party on Sunday. Luther suggested I just throw everything away, but I told him there was no reason to waste perfectly good food because my coworkers would definitely enjoy it.

I packed the meats and cheeses along with some Dijon mustard for dipping, three or four different kinds of crackers, and even a bag of chips. It turned out to be a huge hit! Everyone was so appreciative, and it felt good knowing the leftovers didn’t go to waste. Sometimes it’s the little things, like sharing food with coworkers, that make an ordinary workday a little more special.

When I got off work at 3:30, I headed to the grocery store to pick up everything Mr. C had put on the list. Before long, we’d be getting everything ready for an evening filled with good food, family, and laughter. Those are the moments I treasure the most, and they make the workweek worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment