Thursday, September 26, 2024

Going to the Circus

In 1985 Robert Johnson, Jim Herbert and Curtis Cainan started a small show. The three alternated announcing, performing and selling concessions during each performance for the 1st year. They were based in Queen Creek, Arizona until 2001.  Then the new ownership moved its base of operations to Hugo Oklahoma. Hugo is known as “Circus City, USA for a good reason. It’s the 3rd active circus currently operating from the seat of Choctaw County. 

Brooks and Nana ready to watch the circus.  He is super excited to see the circus. Everything he seen he wanted to do. He wanted to do the huge inflatable slide, face painting and the horses that go in circles.  Then of course he wanted all the circus food.  He ended up being happy with a snow cone and popcorn. 

Jessica and Hattie and I enjoying the circus. 

My oldest son Blake and I.  

Hattie is our little dancer. She is in dance class and is loving it. She was moving to the fun circus music.

Sweet Kyndall and Brooks.  We were watching Leo the clown entertain us while waiting on the Circus to start. The vendors keep going around selling souvenirs and Circus food.  I did give Kyndall and Brooks down to get two bags of peanuts.  A circus isn’t complete without peanuts! 

Simone Key hanging by her hair and doing her act. I’d be in tears as I am so tender headed. She did a amazing act that was spell binding.

The Loyal family doing their horseback riding act was fun to watch. The circus is 90 minutes in length.  Brooks and Kyndall enjoyed the performers and the lion and tiger acts.

I took this picture of the truck because I was curious where the circus was located. I shouldn’t have been surprised that they were located in Hugo Oklahoma. 

The crowd came early to enjoy the face painting and inflatables as well as the horse ride.  Most everyone grabbed circus food before entering the big top.  Brooks really wanted a souvenir at the start of the circus, he finally got the light up spin toy he wanted during intermission.  
They sit the big top up in the field of Eddie Palmer ball field. The same field my boys played ball on while they were in school. 
After the last show at 7:30 pm the circus was gone as quickly as it arrived.  The workers work as a well oiled unit and get it broke down extremely fast. 

So as I was doing research on this particular circus I came across a few fun facts that intrigued me. 
In English a circus can be: 
1. A traveling company of performers that may include acrobats, clowns, trained animals, and other novelty acts, that give shows usually in a circular tent
2. A spectacle; a noisy fuss
3. The modern circus was invented in London by trick horse-rider Philip Astley back in 1768
4. “Bello” is the famous clown from Ringling Bros. & Barnum & Bailey Circus
5. What is the first Circus ever?  Circus Maximus
6. The oldest form of Circus entertainment would be juggling. 

If you get a chance go see a traveling Circus. Watching the joy on my grandchildren’s faces made me so happy.  Was a pretty inexpensive experience for me to add to my memories. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment