Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Dilation and Curettage Surgery

D&C After 50: What Am I Supposed to Expect? 💗

Since my D&C is coming up on October 15th, I have been doing a little research and trying to understand exactly what I should expect. And because I know I’m probably not the only woman who has ever been told, “We need to do a D&C to find out what’s going on,” I thought I’d share a few things I’ve learned.

First of all, having a D&C does NOT mean you have cancer.

A D&C, or dilation and curettage, is a procedure where the cervix is opened and tissue is removed from the lining of the uterus. That tissue is then examined under a microscope. One reason doctors perform a D&C is to investigate abnormal bleeding or other changes in the uterus, including checking for conditions such as abnormal or precancerous cells and cancer. (Cancer.gov)

For women who have gone through menopause, unusual vaginal bleeding deserves to be checked out. Endometrial cancer can cause bleeding after menopause, but that symptom can also have other causes. In fact, among women with postmenopausal bleeding, most do not end up being diagnosed with endometrial cancer. (Cancer.gov)

So basically, the D&C is part of the process of getting answers.

What happens during a D&C?

The procedure itself is usually fairly short, although the amount of time you’ll spend at the facility will be longer because of preparation, anesthesia and recovery.

The doctor dilates the cervix and removes tissue from inside the uterus. That tissue goes to a pathologist, who examines it under a microscope. The pathology results are what help determine what is actually going on. (Cancer.gov)

And honestly, I think the waiting for those results may be one of the hardest parts.

What might recovery be like?

Everyone is different, but after a D&C, some women experience cramping and light vaginal bleeding or spotting. You may also feel tired or groggy from anesthesia.

The good news is that a D&C is generally much less involved than a hysterectomy. Your doctor will tell you when you can return to your normal activities, and you’ll want to follow those instructions rather than trying to prove that you’re Superwoman on day two. 😂

For me, I’m planning on giving myself permission to rest.

I’m going to have my bedroom cleaned, fresh sheets on the bed, my chargers nearby, comfortable clothes ready and the things I use most within reach.

I’m also planning some easy meals because nobody wants to come home from surgery and immediately hear, “So…what’s for dinner?” 😂

What should you have at home?

Here are a few things that I’m planning to have ready:

• Comfortable, loose clothing
• Plenty of sanitary pads, since tampons may be restricted during recovery
• Tylenol or Motrin
if my doctor says they are safe for me to take
• Kleenex and other bedside necessities
• Phone and tablet chargers
• Earphones
• Easy breakfast and lunch foods
• A few crockpot “dump-and-go” dinners
• Plenty of fluids
• A clean, comfortable place to rest

And probably the most important thing of all…

A little patience with yourself.

What if they do find cancer?

This is the part that can be scary.

A D&C can help provide the tissue needed to determine whether cancer is present. If cancer is found, the next step isn’t necessarily “everything is terrible.” The treatment plan depends on the type and stage of cancer, along with a woman’s overall health and other factors. For endometrial cancer, surgery—including hysterectomy—is a common treatment, and many cases are diagnosed at an early stage. (Cancer.gov)

So for me, I’m trying very hard not to jump ahead.

Right now, I don’t have a cancer diagnosis.

I have a test coming up that is supposed to help my doctors figure out what is happening.

That’s an important difference.

And for all of us women…

If you’re postmenopausal and experiencing unexpected vaginal bleeding, don’t ignore it. Make the appointment. Ask questions. Get the testing your doctor recommends.

It can be scary to hear words like “we need to rule out cancer,” but ruling something out is not the same thing as being diagnosed with it.

That’s something I’m reminding myself of as October 15th gets closer.

I’m nervous. I’m definitely a little scared.

But I’m also getting prepared, asking questions and taking this one step at a time.

And if you’re reading this because you’re facing a D&C too, I hope it helps you feel just a tiny bit more prepared.

We’re going to get through this one step at a time. ❤️

#WomensHealth #DandC #OneDayAtATime


No comments:

Post a Comment